Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Naked Blog

“L’esprit d’escalier” doesn’t really have a phrase with the same meaning in English, but the literal translation is “the wit of the stairs.” It is when you have just walked away from an argument or discussion where you’ve been kind of shocked or stumped, then you think of the perfect thing that you didn’t say, but it is too late; your wit didn't catch up to you until you were already on the stairs.

Tina is actually pretty quick on her feet. I am the one who never thinks of things until it is entirely too late. Also, I was raised by a mother who responds to half of the stuff that I say by responding "well, you should have told them. . ." and spouts off some crazy thing that she would never really say. Even though this really irritates me, I have taken to doing it myself. I try to stop myself, but it is fun to show off how smart you are when not surrounded by idiots and enemies.

Tina and I solidified our friendship by suffering through French I together, so choosing a French phrase for the name of our blog is kind of perfect. We literally spent every M-F together for two months to get through a five credit hour class in summer school. It was one of the stupidest academic choices I've ever made, but I would do it over again in a minute since that is how T and I bonded.

The worst thing about this new blog is that it feels so naked. Le Truth is pink and full of stuff and feels really friendly. This kind of seems like moving to a new house where Tina has painted the walls nicely, but where we left all of our cool shit at our old place and have to start over.

|